Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Banana Snack Cake Recipe

Banana Snack Cake

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour (or you can try 1/2 regular & 1/2 whole wheat, it's different, but still good)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk (I keep powdered buttermilk on hand, it's cheaper and lasts longer!)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I omit because my family doesn't like nuts in breads)

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening & sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and add buttermilk a little at a time until well mixed. (stir in nuts optional) Pour into a greased  13x9x2 baking pan. (I sprinkle the top of the batter w/ cinnamon before putting in oven.) Bake @ 350 for 25-30 min. or until toothpick near middle comes out clean.

There is a recipe w/ it for making frosting, but we choose not to add frosting to it...makes it too sweet for us!

Personal Note:
Many of the recipes I use come from my Taste of Home Cookbooks and often times I end up changing them up to make them my own and to my family's taste preference.....this one however, I didn't hardly change. It's great the way it is. This recipe is near and dear to my heart, but I don't make it very often. It brings up many happy memories spending time with my stepdaughter when she was little....BUT, life changed and so it's hard to do now. She'll be 14 next month, wonder if she remembers making this all the time and it being her favorite?





No comments: